Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Leader’s Character and Impact: Inextricably Tied Together


  • Are you having the impact you want to have as a leader?
  • Is your team operating at top productivity?
  • Are you clear on how to lead others?
  • Do you have a clear idea about what you are leading toward?
If you answered yes to these questions, then perhaps you can skip to another article. But if you are not sure, or if you need a refresher, or if you envy the results of other leaders, then read on!

I personally have held many leadership positions. And I am pretty sure I have done a poor job at times. In fact, I think that most times I was only a leader by virtue of being willing to take on responsibility when others were not. Now that I regularly conduct leadership training, I am shocked at how many people rise to leadership positions because of longevity in their professional positions and how few educational or professional training programs teach people what to do when they do rise become leaders. 

What is also somewhat of a shock is that most of the life skills, the soft skills, that mental health professionals teach, when they reach beyond remediating mental illness, are actually what leaders need to know. Consider this list of leadership training topics:
  • Creative Problem Solving
  • Creativity and Innovation
  • Communication Skills
  • Conflict Resolution Skills
  • How to Build a Team
  • Influencing Skills
  • Building Resilience
  • Change Management
  • Taking Care of Ourselves During Change
While I am sure that there are many other abilities that leaders need, what is really impressive is the apparent need for leaders to learn more than their “content expertise” in order to lead or manage people well. What also impresses me is that each item on the list includes the need for good character. However great I am at computers (or nursing, or finance or laying tile or building widgits), if I want to lead my people, they need to know that
  • they can trust me
  • I have their best interests at heart
  • I have their backs
  • I will regularly talk with them – about their work/needs and about what’s going on in the company
  • I will not sell them out
  • I will work just as hard as they will and will do my best
  • I will tell the truth
  • I will expect them to do their best at what they are best at
  • I will consult them in areas of their expertise, and not exclude them
  • I will know enough about their personal and work needs to support them.
In other words, if I am not having the desired impact as a leader, perhaps I need to ask myself if, in addition to the skills of my profession, I am exercising the following character traits:
  • Trustworthiness
  • Integrity
  • Perseverance
  • Appreciation
  • Kindness
  • Determination
  • Trust
  • Self-Control
  • Transparency
  • Openmindedness
  • Kindness
  • Responsibility
  • Authenticity
  • Respect
  • Fairness
  • Humility
  • Generosity
  • Gratitude


No comments:

Post a Comment