Friday, September 18, 2009

Disney Does It Right (November 2008)

Well, after all of the reading I have done on business ethics, I have become sensitized to what an ethical business looks like from the consumer perspective. And, of course, I have had a number of conversations about the need to improve with businesses who have fallen short. I have even, as you might imagine, terminated relationships with businesses that have fallen far short. But I was pleasantly surprised this week by the performance of a business that I had, up to this point, thought was overly commercialized, overly superficial; a business that I had avoided for a number of reasons.

My family and I just spent a week at Disney World, and from my observations they outperformed many businesses in living out good character or ethics. Every employee we had contact with greeted us in a friendly, enthusiastic manner, with a smile, and questioned with interest how our vacation was going. Never did I receive an "I don't know" or experience an indifferent or unhelpful attitude in response to a question. Service was always prompt, despite the crowds of the Thanksgiving holiday. And I was amazed at the crowd management, particularly given the holiday - despite the masses that were clearly apparent, never did we have to wait more than a few minutes for transportation or food service or entry to events.

In addition to terrific customer service, everything we attended reflected values that I think ought to be promulgated. Respect for diversity was reflected in the number of disabled people enjoying and working at the parks and the accommodations provided for them. It was also evident in the wide range of diverse cultures represented in employees and performers - "cast members," as they are referred to. Further, whether it was Epcot or Animal Kingdom, consideration for the environment and for the animal world were clearly apparent. We were all encouraged to do more to sustain our planet and had many opportunities to learn how to do so. Healthy food for children and adults was also available at the restaurants we went to. I don't think the carrot sticks, raisens, and apple sauce sides that were offered to accompany children's meals are even available to my daughter at her elementary school.

And in every show we attended, cast members were upbeat and cheerful and enthusiastic and had a positive attitude about life. They encouraged children to pursue their dreams, to work hard, to persist until the best goal could be reached. They encouraged and demonstrated caring and kindness and respect for all people and the natural world. And they did it in playful, entertaining, and often humorous way. Epcot, in its Candlelight Processional and concert, even did what many companies consider too great a risk - they acknowledged the religious element of this season by telling the Christ story. Even if it isn't the only story or everyone's story, they seemed to be saying, it is a story worth telling, and an important part of many people's history and lives. I was happy to have my child at Disney World - the values illustrated there were clear, did not detract from what I am trying to teach her, and were values I would be happy to see reflected in every part of our society.

The big question is why they aren't reflected in very business, school, government, and community organization. If Disney - which is clearly a very profitable and enormous enterprise - can do it, why can't everyone else? Now, I am sure that someone can probably dig up some dirt about Disney. I understand Walt wasn't all that delightful. But if the lowest members in the chain of command at Disney - those picking up the garbage and cleaning the bathrooms for minimum wage - can reflect such positive attitudes and values, the values must now be infused throughout the organization from the top down. Can't we all start today deciding on and living out values that create a better working environment and better physical and mental health for ourselves and everyone around us? Can't we all live as though our children or mothers or the evening news were watching us? I say, "Yes, we can!"

No comments:

Post a Comment